Sunday 15 February 2009

Giant Colocasia!!!

Last year, a local shop, Wilkinsons (a sorta buy all sorts of things cheap store for all of my non-UK readers), stocked a very good range of tropical plants and bulbs in Spring, ranging from brugmansias and gingers to tree ferns and palms! Being a person always looking out for a bargain, I had to give some of these things a try!

I bought a couple of tree ferns (I'll save those for
another post) plus many other things, but the items I bought that relate to this post are some Colocasia tubers. They were sold as Alocasia and were £2.99 I think, and I bought several as several people had had excellent results from similar tubers purchased from the same shop the previos year, with leaves nearing the 1m mark in length!!! Anyway, these tubers were probably at the most 2" in diameter, which is pretty big compared to normal bulbs! In high hopes for some 'mammoth' sized plants, I potted them up into large pots and set them going on the heat mat mid February;Over the coming weeks it grew at a fabulous rate, definitely living up to the fast growing and living plants that the tubers had produced in previous years. After just a few weeks of growth, the leaves were nearing the 1 foot mark already;
And around, I think, early May, they were transferred to the heated propagator in the greenhouse, where I was hoping they would toughen up a little and harden off;The growth slowed down over the new week or two, although I guess that is understandable as it is still cooler compared to the conditions in the house! In late May, it was planted into a half barrel outside (once again in high hopes for a large plant) and the root system was simply bulging out of the pot, yet another good sign. However, from there on it simply refused to grow, pushing out just another 2 or 3 measley leaves during the entire Summer. This probably had something to do with the weather as last Summer wasn't the best for tropical plants I guess, but the sucess people had the previous year was not to be found with many peoples plants, although many people produced decent plants given the weather!!! It has been 'rumoured' that the variety of these bulbs is Colocasia Esculenta 'Mammoth', which is supposed to be a very vigorous variety, with, as the name suggests, 'mammoth' sized leaves! However, as no proper tests have been done, I guess we'll never find out. If they stock them again I might give another one more a go but we'll have to see.

BUT there is hope on the horizon!!! Whilst doing out whirlwind tour of the local Garden Centres, imagine my shock when I saw some bulbs three times the size of any I'd ever seen before!!! Low and behold, they were of course Colocasias, although the variety/species name was not given. At £4.50 a piece I just had to g
ive one of these ago, so I bought one of these giants home with me, and he has now been named Bobby. He weighs in at a hefty 2kg, and here are some pics;This is the top of the bulb, where I'm hoping it'll shoot from;
And you can see here at the base of the bulb where the offsets have been removed, which I'm guessing will be propagated to produce this years harvest!

It has been suggested that bulb size has in fact nothing to do with the size of the plant produced, and while there is no actual Scientific evidence that there is a link between the two things, one would assume that the larger the storage tuber, the more energy contained thus at least the more vigorous and fast growing the plant will be? Either way, I have a good feeling about Bobby! He'll be potted up ASAP, and I'm hoping to get a bell jar to put over him while he's on the heat mat, just to increase the humidity a little bit! I'll keep you updated!

Has anyone else had any experience with the Wilkinsons or similar Colocasias, or with some of these 'giant' bulbs? If so, please let me know and leave a comment below!

7 comments:

Will said...

Good to see someone else likes growing tropicals. The large bulbs you have are in fact Allocasia. I have bought them in the past from veg stalls in China town in London. They produce a stiffer, more upright leaf and need a lot of heat to get them going. I noticed this morning that my local Morrison’s here in Norwich, Norfolk are selling eddoes – colocasia – for 78p a pound.
Will www.exoticgarden.com

tropical-pete said...

Hi Will - great to see you've started blogging!!! Am looking forward to read a professional's tropical gardening blog, and nicking loads of hints and tips, lol!! Will pop over and have a browse around once I've finished typing this: have always really admired you garden (I have both your books) and I just love everything about it!!! So excited that you're going to start blogging!

Thanks for the info about the bulb - how can you tell the different between a Colocasia and an Alocasia bulb? I did try Eddoes once but they never came to much, but might try them again. I know you grow Colocasia 'Mammoth' though, and what a beauty of plant!!! Any idea where I can buy one from that's the real thing? I can't find anywhere in the UK selling them.

Thanks for commenting, keep reading!!!

Pete

Victoria Summerley said...

Hi, Pete, thanks for following my blog - which led me to yours! I keep promising myself to grow alocasia every year, but never get round to it, as the ready-grown ones are so expensive and I don't have a greenhouse or conservatory. Architectural Plants sell them (and the black colocasia) but they're not cheap...

tropical-pete said...

Hey Victoria - I know what you mean about growing plants of Alocasia being expensive, and of course the only two I had would be the only two plants (so far at least) that have actually died off in the greenhouse!!

Hopefully this now apparently Alocasia bulb will grow into a decent plant this year with some bottom heat to get it going, and I might also buy some Eddoes as Will suggested above to grow some more Colocasias cheaply. I've not quite got the knack of over Wintering either yet though, so don't want to spend too much on potted plants! There are quite a few tropical nurseries that sell them, just keep your eyes open. There were even a few in a local Notcutts last year, although I resisted the temptation lol!

Will said...

Hi Pete – I could be wrong about them being Alocasia! After seeing your pics I have changed my mind. I original purchased some Colocasia ‘Mammoth’ from a nursery (garden centre) in San Francisco some ten years ago. Of course it is illegal to bring plants back, so I naughtily wrapped them up with decorative wrapping paper, as Birthday presents – luckily I got through without them being checked – what a naughty boy ! They were the real thing and in resent year (not last year) they have produced leaves three feet long by two feet wide. Excellent plants...
The reason I though t they might be Alocasia was due to their size, though the ones I originally bought from China town had a thick growing shoot that had been cut through about an inch above the tuber. Personally I think Colocasias are far easier to grow and take lower temperatures anyway.
I must try and find a Wilkinson’s – is it a chain, or just a local store? Will

tropical-pete said...

Hi Will - thanks for the reply!

The best plants always come in 'under the canopy' so to speak!!! Any chance you could send me some pics of your 'Mammoth' from last year? Love seeing giant and jungle pics, might also get some inspiration to get things done in the garden lol

I see what you mean about looking like Alocasia size wise - I've never seen Colocasia tubers this big. Still, I guess I'll have to get it planted tommorow so we can find out soon! Any tips for planting?

I agree with you that Collies are easier to grow - I've lost quite a few this year but have still got a couple left. I lost both my Alocasia Portadora and Wentii Aline though this Winter, the latter of which I won't be trying again, but I'm hoping to give the Portadora a go again as the leaves started getting really large towards the end of last season.

Wilkinsons is a chain store, they're pretty popular I think. If you go here: http://www.wilkinsonplus.com/page/store?searchbox=b97+5rw&submit=search and then type in your postcode at the top you should be able to see all your local stores.

Thanks

Pete

Thiruppathy Raja said...

nice guide! thank you!/I love it ! Very creative ! That's actually really cool Thanks

Potted Plants

Post a Comment