Sunday 22 February 2009

Plants From Hill House Nursery

About a month ago I was browsing the web site of Hill House Nursery, a nursery in Devon dabbling quite a bit in the more unusual types of plants. I was overjoyed to find that they had Begonia Luxurians available - a plant which is particularly difficult to find in England. There was one nursery that was selling it last year but I think they only had a limited amount and now they're all gone, so Hill House Nursery is the only place selling it at the moment in the UK as far as I know, although I'm sure they'll sell out pretty soon as this plant is quite popular. The reason the plant is much sought after is not to much for its flowers, which compared to the tuberous and bedding begonias are rather dull, just small white clusters, but for its foliage, which is palmate and very unusual. Here's a picture I took of one growing at Cotswold Wildlife Park (a kind of zoo set within gardens, which have a general tropical/exotic theme) last Summer, which was growing very well;Anyway, having decided to definitely order a Begonia Luxurians, as I absolutely love the foliage, I noticed the P & P increase for a second plant wasn't that great, and they had many other nice plants so of course it would've been rude not to buy another! In the end I chose Brugmansia 'Grand Marnier'. It is supposed to be quite an old variety, although there are loads of different 'variations' flying around, although the true one, which I'm hoping this is, is supposed to be very vigorous and free flowering once it gets going, with highly scented pale peach to yellow pendulous flowers. I haven't got a picture of this one but hopefully I will have latter in the Summer!!!!Having ordered my plants I completely forgot about them for a few weeks - the Brugmansia was available to deliver straight away but the Begonia would only be ready in late February so I decided to go for having them shipped together to save on the costs. And, right on time, they arrived on Wednesday, and they were duly unwrapped and tidied up! Am very pleased with the quality and size of the plants. The Begonia has three decent sized leaves with another just emergin, plus another shoot just starting to come from the base, and it has a few flowers on it at the moment, not that they're anything to shout about!!!I'm hoping the leaves will straighten up a little but I won't be too bothered if they don't as by the time it comes to either planting it out or potting it up for the patio (I'm not sure where it's going to go yet), it will probably have grown quite a bit more so should look a little more tidy. And the Brugmansia, although a little yellow, most likely from lack of light during shipping, is a good sized plant, with plenty of shoots coming on it. Can't wait to see this one bloom!!!Am very pleased with the quality of the plants, well worth the money and when I contacted them at Hill House to ask for some advice regarding shipping etc. they were very helpful and nothing was too much trouble. Would definitely reccomend them!

4 comments:

Will said...

I love this begonia, I first saw it in a nursery in Seattle, Washington last year and the plant was about seven feet high and looked absolutely delicious. Mine is about the same size as yours so I am hoping it grows well this summer, especially if well fed. I have just ordered 20 B.carolinifolia from Dibblys – another wonderful begonias with gorgeous leaves.

The reason I’ve ordered 20 is that I know visitors to the garden will want to purchase one on open days in the summer.

tropical-pete said...

7ft high - WOW! Did you take a pic? Sounds gorgeous, I look forward to hearing how yours gets on.

I've always admired at the wonderful Begonias that Dibleys stock, some real stunners in there, even if the majority of them are really houseplants. I can't see Carolinifolia in the catalogue though, although from doing a google it looks really nice - will you be growing yours outdoor for the Summer? Would love to be able to make one of your open days, will look into it.

Pete

Malcolm Mcfarland said...

Hill House is a very good Nursery, they have a fantastic range and the hot tunnel is always hot! It is worth a visit if you are ever out this way...


www.canna-obsession.co.uk

tropical-pete said...

Will definitely pop in if we're ever down that way, they have such a wonderful selection of plants going by what's on the website.

Post a Comment