Sunday 18 January 2009

Another Weekend Over!

And another weekend comes to a surprisingly fast end! But I managed to get quite a lot done today as far as seed sowing is concerned - it's been an absolutely gorgeous day once again, with almost non-stop sunshine, which does make a nice change! Really inspired me to start thinking about Spring.

Anywho, went in the greenhouse today and sowed the following;

Ensete Ventricosum
Ensete Sp. 'Kluay Pa'
Musa Mannii
Musa Thomsonii
Musa Sikkimensis 'Red Flash'
Brugmansia Arborea
Brugmansia Sanguinea
Canna 'Crozy's Hybrids'
And several Brugmansia crosses, too.

A lot of these seeds are one that I kept meaning to sow last Spring but never got 'round to it, but hopefully something'll come of them. I've tried Ensete Ventricosum before, but I sowed them a little too late in the year so there weren't quite big enough to get through Winter, and I also bought some Brugmansia Sanguinea seed from Thompson and Morgan but in the end they turned out not to be Sanguineas! Nevertheless, they were very nice. This year will be their third year from seed (these were the first exotic plant that I probably grew, as I hadn't found the wonderful world of exotics 3 years ago, so they were just a random buy at the time!), so I'm hoping they'll put on some nice flushes and bulk up a little bit. Here's a picture of them last year;

As the flower ages, it also turned a very pale orange. I also did some tidying up in the greenhouse, which is starting to look a bit sorry for itself, but I have to remind myself that Spring isn't THAT far away. Only a couple of losses so far in there, but hopefully that'll be all. Next weekend I'm hoping for some good weather so everything can come out and be sorted out and tidied up, so I have that joyful task to look forward too! Ah well, it's worth it when the Summer arrives!

4 comments:

Libby said...

You are very organised, sowing already, have you got your heated propergator in the greenhouse. Do post pics of whats going on round and about!

tropical-pete said...

I must admit that although everything may seem organised now, wait a few months and you'll see a greenhouse crammed with seedlings all waiting to be potted on or plants out. I'd like to try and prove myself wrong this year though!

The heat mat is currently in the house, although I would eventually like to move it into the greenhouse as it will have better light levels, but there's simply no room at the moment!

Quail said...

Last summer I wanted to move my 4 foot Brugmansia to a better position but the slugs loved the taste too much. I had to move it up high and out of the way.

tropical-pete said...

I know just what you mean! They absolutely love to nibble on the Brugs - I've had to start using slug pellets (albeit the environmentally friendly ones) as nothing else seems to stop them from getting to the delicious Brugmansia. I also had a problem with catterpillars on them in the greenhouse last year, but they were soon eradicated after a few days of tedious catterpillar hunting...

Post a Comment