Saturday 17 January 2009

The Gardening Season Begins

Well, I though I might as well get stuck in straight away! I've decided to create this blog now as not only are we all eagerly anticipating the start of a new gardening season, but also because I'm hoping that through writing this blog (which I'll try and update at least once weekly!) I'll be able to learn more about growing tropical plants (and other related matters!), make many new friends and also be able to share my garden, and everything that goes on in it, the good, the bad and the plain ugly, with all of my readers, whom I look forward to getting to know! Also, this is my very first blog, so I have much to learn about the world of blogging! Because of this, if you think that there are improvements to be made to my blog, please contact me and let me know through the comments section on the right!

Anywho, today started off as a very fine sunny day, which has put me in a Spring mood, so I've been doing plenty of seed-sorting, and hopefully I'll be able to start the much awaited seed sowing tommorow! I can't wait to start the process all over again, seeing those tiny little pellets grow into some beautiful (and some not so beautiful) plants - this has to be one of the top things I love about gardening!

So tommorow, I'll hopefully be getting out in the garden and sowing the first batch of tropical seeds for this year. I've just received my order from JungleSeeds, which is the top company for tropical seeds. Once again I've managed to overspend a little, but this year I'm absolutely determined to give all the plants I grow all the care and attention they need (my New Year's Resolution is to be more motivated). I'll be sowing Ensete Ventricosum, Brugmansia Sanguinea, B. Arborea and Canna 'Crozy's Hybrids' tommorow, and they'll all be soaked overnight to soften the seed coats. I might also do a little tidying in the greenhouse, which is pretty clean but there's always dropped leaves to clean up and, dare I say it, the odd dead plant too, although hopefully there will be none of those!

I'll try and do an update tommorow of what I actually got around to doing in the garden, so tune in then! Thanks for looking in, and hopefully you'll stick around.

Take care

Pete

2 comments:

Libby said...

Hello Pete, so glad you have joined us in blog world. I shall enjoy following your growing and planting plans.
Had a disastrous find in my garden today, details on my blog!

tropical-pete said...

Thanks Libby, I've always enjoyed reading other people's blogs (including yours!) so decided to start one myself. I just need to makesure I keep it updated!

Sorry to hear about the devastation in your garden! You seem to have had it really bad - it's only been down to -5C here so far, and that's low enough for me! Just think of Spring, not too far away!

Post a Comment