Saturday 7 March 2009

Seed Sorting Once More

OK, this will probably be the last seed sorting post for a week or two, once all of these current seeds are well on their way to become beautiful plants!!!

  • Begonia Boliviensis 'Bonfire' - the seeds of these are teeny, so they will be surface sown and then put somewhere humid to endure that the top of the compost doesn't dry out.
  • Lobelia 'Sapphire' - pretty much routing sowing for these. I'll be sowing them in large cell trays, a pinch of seed to each cell so that nice bushy clumps are produced. They'll be left to germinate in the greenhouse as it's starting to get pretty warm in there now when a little sun hits it.
  • Marigold 'Dwarf Double Mix' - like the Lobelia, not really exotic but some simple plants to grow that provide an easy splash of colour. These will also be left in the greenhouse to germinate.
  • Tacca Nivea & Chantrieri - have had these seeds for a while so not sure how good germination rate will be, pretty much routine sowing although they will be kept on the heat mat as high temperatures are needed for germination.
  • Dragon Fruit - not actually collected from an actual fruit, but sent to me by a friend, these will be sown in a gritty potting mix, and will be kept in a humid environment. Soaking can be beneficial, although I don't think I'll soak them as they're tiny!!!
  • Iochroma 'Plum Beauty' - these seeds were also sent to me by a friend, and are related to the Brugmansia. They are absolutely tiny, but require no special treatment. It has however been suggested that starting them on moist paper towels would give better germination rate.
  • Texas Start Hibiscus (Hibiscus Coccineus) - again received these seeds from a friend. They have beautiful big flowers, and are quite easy to grow in warmer climates apparently, so I might try some outside over Summer but I may keep one or two in the greenhouse as well. All they need is a bit of warmth to germinate, so that part shouldn't be oo difficult!!!
  • Agapanthus - apparently these seeds don't store well, but I'll plant 'em anyway! Pretty routine sowing method for these again.
  • Callistemon Rigidus - although taking a couple of years to get to flowering size from seed, it should be interesting to watch them grow. Routine seed sowing method for these also, although I might soak them a little first as they look very dry and in need of some water to break through the hard coat.
  • And finally, I have a bunch of different Echinacea (Coneflower) seeds to be sowing.Some suggest that a cool period may aid germination, so I will sow these and leave them outside for a week or two, and then move them onto the heated propagator in the greenhouse.
As I said, that's it for the seed sorting posts for a week or two, I should have some more interesting stuff to post over the next couple of days, as everything's bursting into growth with this mild weather!

4 comments:

Libby said...

I love seeing everything you are going to plant. If you have any Cobaea Scandens That germinate I would love one. I got one from Andy C last year and it grew massively and had the most amazing flowers, definately worth growing again!!!

tropical-pete said...

You're more than welcome to one Libby - I'll be sowing them this weekend and I'll keep you posted. I remember seeing them at Kew, twining right the way up the staircase in one of the glasshouses, it was quite a sight!

Will said...

Hi Tropical-Pete, thanks for all the wonderful comments you make about my blog. It’s good to see you planting lots of seeds. I had a splurge of seed planting last week and one of the main ones for the garden is Ricinus. I sow about 50 seeds of different varieties like Zanzibarensis, Carmenstia and my favourite New Zealand purple. I am also trying a new one from Jungle seeds Giant red stem which is supposed to be like Zanzibarensis (10-12ft) but with red stems and foliage.
I also love lily’s and have planted dozens of these in pots for splash of colour and sent in July.
Keep up the good work - Will

tropical-pete said...

Ahhh Ricinus - I'll be saving those for a couple of weeks until the beginning of April. I'm also trying the 'Giant Red Stem' from Jungle Seeds, sounds like a promising variety! Will be interesting to compare how they grow, any tips for getting the largest plants?

Post a Comment