Saturday 14 March 2009

Sowing & Potting Up

Just thought I'd let you know what I've managed to get done so far in the garden!

Have been busy potting up bulbs recently - I potted up the three Lily 'Marrakech', 8 Lilium Oriental Mixed Colour and 6 Nerine Bowdenii which are all now potted up in the greenhouse just to get them going. Hopefully once the garden gets organised I can then plant them out for flowering; I do the same thing every year but they never get planted as the garden never gets organised, but really hoping they make it into the ground this year! Also emptied out a couple of pots of Zantedeschia 'Elliotiana' that I bought last year and cleaned up and repotted the tubers in those. The Sprekelia Formosissima also got potted up; I'm not sure whether it'll flower this year or not as it's quite a small bulb, but hopefully with some TLC it'll oblige next year. That's all I can remember for now!

I also emptied out, cleaned up and repotted several of the Hedychium I bought last year that were simply bursting out of their pots! The only problem is, the rhizomes of these grow horizontally, with the growth point carrying on growing horizontally one end, so by the end of this season the ones that need over Wintering will have filled their pots once again. I guess I'll just have to find the will power to chop the end of the rhizome off that nothing's growing from, but they all seem healthy at the moment, even if nothing's growing from them. Anywho, my Hedychium Densiflorum is showing signs of growing already which I'm pleased about, and several others are still green in the greenhouse and are still growing, so I'll be interested to see if these stems continue to grow this year, and there's a good chance they'll flower quite early if they do, which should be quite exciting.

Also, with regard to the Brugmansia seeds and other bits and bobs I sowed the other week - quite a few of the Brugmansia have come up, and they've now been potted on and are coming on nicely in the greenhouse. The remaining seeds are still on the propagator, and hopefully they'll come up over the next few weeks. Also, I've had a seedling emerge in a bag of 5 Ensete 'Kluay Pa' seeds, which I'm quite excited about. These seeds are usually quite difficult to germinate, so getting one out of just five seeds would be quite an acheivement! However, as it's been emerging, it does look similar to a Canna seedling (which I guess one can expect, being related to them), but as it's now progressing I'm almost certain it's a Kluay Pa, so am looking forward to seeing this baby grow over the Summer, and she'll be getting lots of TLC!

Quite a lot of sowing and growing going on now, and more seeds to be sorted soon so will keep you all up to date!

2 comments:

Will said...

Sounds like you’re getting down to some serious propagation at the moment, keep up the good work

tropical-pete said...

Well...propagation station is coming to an end now, and anything that's not planted out in the next week or so is gonna go because otherwise I know I'm wasting my time caring for it! As usual...there's loads I'd do differently next Spring! But more about that once I get posting again :)

Post a Comment