Sunday 15 March 2009

Hill House Nursery Purchase Updates

You may remember some time ago I posted about some plants I'd purchased via mail order, from a company in Devon (Hill House Nurseries).Well these plants have been growing so well for me that I thought it was about time I did a quick update :D

The Begonia is really taking off now, especially now that we're getting some warmer, sunnier weather (which makes a change). Upon arrival it already had several nice leaves, which are now starting to die off, but the new o
nes are starting to be produced pretty fast to replace them! It also had a baby shoot at the base waiting to come up, which is now putting out a couple of leaves, AND I discovered another one emerging the other day, so am hoping for a nice lush plant this Summer. Here's a pic of the overall plant;
And the new leaf as well, can't wait for more of these to appear over Summer! Will looks so nice in amongst the other jungle plants.

That pic was taken a couple of weeks ago still, and it's been coming along nicely since then. Well worth the money paid for it!

The other plant I bought, a Brugmansia 'Grand Ma
rnier' is coming along even better! The white/yellow leaves have almost all gone now and been replaced by healthy, bigger green ones. I think they might have just been down to getting kick started into growth, as all my other Brugmansias that are just starting into growth have also got white/slightly deformed leaves, but the subsequent leaves revert back to normal. BUT, most important of all, we have forking!!!
Before a Brugmansia starts to flower, it needs to have 'forked' naturally at some point, although a cutting taken above a 'fork' can flower without forking. Basically, any part of a plant taken from above a fork can flower. Anywho, I found a teensy fork on the 'Grand Marnier' the other week, which is when I took this picture - the two leaves at the same stage indicate that two shoots are forming, plus I could see a microscopic bud on the other side. It's been progressing agonisingly slowly, but hopefully in a few weeks time I'll have my first Bruggie flower of the season, and I can't wait for it! Here's a picture of the whole plant, taken a week or two ago (just as I'd watered it, hence why it's a little wilted), looking nice and healthy now that green leaves are regrowing :D Will keep you posted on these great plants!

3 comments:

Libby said...

Wow!! Your brug is coming along nicely, mine seemed to have died!!! I love the leaves of the begonia.

Martyn Cox said...

I love that begonia - I will have to track one down for myself.
http://martyncox.biz/blog

tropical-pete said...

Thanks Libby - the Brug is really impressing me...I'll try and do some blogs in a few days, there's plenty to talk about now!!!

I love the Begonia too, although to be honest, I'm more pleased with how the Brug's come along now even though the main reason I ordered was for the Begonia! Ah well, both lovely plants.

Post a Comment